Wednesday, 7 December 2011

Cthulhu head latest

I've been doing alot of work on the body lately, but did a bit more on the tentacles/feelers on the head this evening. Playing around with Mudbox's lighting presets too.

Monday, 5 December 2011

Medusa wip

Just had some sketch time in Mudbox to start adding snake scales/skin plates to her.

Monday, 14 November 2011

Cthulhu body sculpt wip

I've been working on the body of my Cthulhu beastie recently. I'm trying to give it vaguely humanoid anatomy with other elements thrown in. Ancient looking, but still formidable.

Loads still to do, but the major shapes are forming and my sanity remains intact.....for now.............

Tuesday, 11 October 2011


Here's a work in progress shot of a bust I'm working on. I wanted to take the Gorgon description somewhere new so instead of a head of snakes, I thought a pair of horns that are actually serpents might look cool. Lots of detail to add. Just getting the snake skin look roughly drawn out before sculpting it up.

Wednesday, 31 August 2011

Temple Guard

Another old piece of artwork, this time one I did working at Games Workshop for the original Lizardman book. Fed on a diet of Jurassic Park and Aztec/Mayan art, this is what I came up with for the Lizardmen Elite Temple Guard. Note the baby Triceratops skull helm.

Witch Hunter

Another one from the archives. This time a Sigmarite Witch Hunter. I painted this soon after leaving Games Workshop. I was putting test pieces together for freelance work and trying new techniques. This is acrylic on cartridge paper.


A painting from the archives that I did in my spare time when I worked at Games Workshop's Design Studio. Painted whith tube acrylics and acrylic inks.
He was based on a Perry twins Warhammer Orc.


Just been working on suckers on the main feelers/tentacles on my Cthulhu model. I finally have a PC at home that can handle this beastie.

Saturday, 23 July 2011

Cthulhu wip

I'm working on a Cthulhu character in my spare time (which is rare). You can see the progress on the hi res head sculpt here: head sculpt wip
The shots below show the base mesh in Max and the beginnings of the body sculpt in Mudbox.
I'll post more updates as they happen.

Wednesday, 29 June 2011

Catastrophic Damage System

These are some images of the catastrophic damage system I developed at Codemasters with one of the graphics coders for Operation Flashpoint: Red River.
We came up with a cool system similar to the one Valve developed for Left 4 dead. When a character was hit by a high caliber weapon or explosion we would remove sections of the character mesh to reveal the damaged tissue left behind. The tool would also automatically push the verts in around the removed/damaged section so the transition between the damaged and undamaged body would be seamless.
The look of the damage as meant to resemble the kind of heavy trauma caused by nearby explosions or shrapnel. Apologies if you are squeamish.
Here are some screen grabs from Max showing the Damage tool in action on one of the US Marine Riflemen. In the game a blood "Spatter" texture was applied around the wound to further conceal the transition between damaged and undamaged.
Here are some images of the damage meshes themselves.


This is a page from a document I put together for the next Operation Flashpoint we were planning after Red River. It outlines the improvements I wanted to make to the damage system. Rather than just catastrophic damage, I wanted to simulate everything from bullet wounds all the way up to heavy trauma. These would be incremental so you could literally bore through a character with sustained fire. It would have been great :-)


Friday, 24 June 2011

So it begins..............

Welcome to my Blog.
The reason for starting this is to have a place where I can occasionally post work in progress projects, shipped games work, old work and general missives from my addled mind. I hope you enjoy!